Podcast Manager 2.0 Alpha 2 has been released today and is now available for download. This is an ALPHA release package previewing the forthcoming 2.0 release of Podcast Manager. Given it's ALPHA level status, this package is NOT recommended for use on production sites. Additionally, this release ONLY supports Joomla! 2.5.
Changes since 2.0 Alpha
Podcast Manager 2.0 Alpha 2 is the next incremental step in releasing a stable 2.0 package. Development has progressed steadily for nearly eight months and greatly improves the existing features as well as adds additional features and compatibility with the core Joomla! system. Since the first Alpha release in January, the following changes have been made:
- New Features
- Default media player settings can be overridden by the content plugin when used within articles; this includes the type of media player and the height and width of the player
- MediaElement.JS has replaced all other media players
- Feed Listing module can now display the media player
- Miscellaneous Changes
- Support for Minima template has been dropped due to developer having temporarily halted development
- Most front end errors are no longer displayed to users but are logged in the error log file
- MediaElement.JS has a requirement to use jQuery; an option has been added to the content plugin to disable loading jQuery with the content plugin (this is useful if your template, for example, also uses jQuery and to help prevent version conflicts)
- The upgrade script ensures that all outdated files are removed during the 1.8 to 2.0 upgrade
- Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) translation updated to first Alpha package
Supports only Joomla! 2.5
This release of Podcast Manager is only available for Joomla! 2.5. Earlier versions of Joomla! are not supported.
Upgrade from Previous Releases
Users who have elected to see Alpha level releases via the Live Update version check will see an option to update to this release on the Podcast Manager dashboard. Otherwise, users will need to download the package from this site.
Finishing Podcast Manager 2.0
At this time, all major planned features have been implemented. Feature changes can still happen between now and the Beta release, which should occur within the next three weeks depending on the stability of the code and any reports of issues. Please use the Issue Tracker at the GitHub repository linked below to request new features to be considered and report any issues you may be experiencing. From this release to stable, aside from minor feature work remaining to implement, the goal is to ensure that the 2.0 release branch is stable and bug free. As well, new documentation will be added to this site to document some of the new features in Podcast Manager 2.0.
Need Additional Support?
Documentation about Podcast Manager is available on this site in the Podcast Manager section. This area includes information about the suite, a description of the various configuration options, a method to subscribe for e-mail updates, and tutorials on various functions. If you don't see something here that you think would be beneficial for all users, feel free to Contact Me with your suggestion.
Future development is user based primarily. If there are features that are desired, please submit a feature request and it will be considered. As well, the code will strive to stay current with development practices and the Joomla! Platform so that the latest and greatest features are always available to the user in the simplest manner possible. If you have a bug to report or a feature to request, please submit those reports using the links provided in this article.
Support the Project
You can contribute to the project by visiting the space on GitHub at https://github.com/BabDev/Podcast-Manager and report bugs, provide patches for known issues, suggest new improvements, or download a working copy of the Git repository. As well, translations are being accepted for Podcast Manager. As part of the Open Translators initiative, Podcast Manager is listed on Transifex to accept community translations.
Download the newest posted release from the Latest Releases listing. Don't see this specific release listed? Check the Archived Releases listing for all of the installation packages that are available.