I am pleased to announce the Beta release of Podcast Manager, a suite of extensions for Joomla! designed to allow you to host and manage a podcast feed from your Joomla! 1.6 site.
NOTE: This is a BETA release, meaning that not all functionality may be working as expected.
Podcast Manager is an integration of five unique extensions into a Joomla! 1.6 based site to allow a user to share their own podcast feed with the world using the familiar Joomla! interface. The suite is designed to be straight forward and user friendly; aside from actually creating the podcast episode file, all management of the feed is done through the Joomla! administrator interface. "Under the hood", the suite is intended to be lightweight and make maximum use of the Joomla! API. For example, the main admin component features only one extended function between the two controllers, and the only extended functions in the models are those necessary for the proper retrieval of data. Included in this suite are:
- com_podcastmanager - The main component of the suite; upon completion, will feature a site and admin component to manage and host the podcast feed
- com_podcastmedia - A customized version of the core Joomla! Media Manager to manage the files that will be used with your podcasts
- mod_podcastmanager - A front-end module to display a link to your podcast feed on your site
- plg_content_podcastmanager - A content plug-in which handles converting the inline podcast marker to either a link to the file or a media player
- plg_editors-xtd_podcastmanager - A button plug-in which integrates with the text editor to select a podcast episode from the main component for insertion in an article
At this time, the suite is considered stable enough for testing in a development environment, but is NOT recommended for use in a production environment.
Changes since Alpha
Since the Alpha release last week, there has been one major change; the getID3 library has been dropped from the distribution. Otherwise, all changes have been bug fixes.
The Road to Stable
At this time, there are no major bugs (that I've found) that would prevent a Stable release. However, through additional testing, bugs may come up, hence the Beta release. During the Beta period, integration into Joomla's Update Manager will be completed, allowing all updates to be installed via the Extension Manager's Update interface. Also, override packages will be completed for Hathor, the accessible administrator template for Joomla! 1.6, and Minima, the administrator template that will be shipped with Molajo. This is to allow for maximum compatibility with these templates. Since these are templates shipped with these packages, these are the only templates which I will support with overrides.
Support the Project
You can contribute to the project by visiting the space on Assembla at https://www.assembla.com/spaces/podcast-manager and report bugs, provide patches for known issues, suggest new improvements, or download a working copy of the SVN.
Download the newest posted release from the Latest Releases listing. Don't see this specific release listed? Check the Archived Releases listing for all of the installation packages that are available.