Podcast Manager 1.8 Beta has been released today and is now available for download.
NOTE: This is an BETA release, meaning it is NOT intended for use on production sites and may contain critical bugs which may cause the extension suite to not perform as expected
Feature Packed and User Driven
Podcast Manager 1.8 brings to the table several new features, many of which were requested from users of the suite. New to this release includes:
- A front end view of your podcast feed which lists a number of episodes you specify in a sortable table (by default sorted with the newest episode listed first). This view outputs the podcast's title, which is linked directly to the media file, and publish date in separate cells and can optionally display the podcast's summary. The heading can optionally display the title and description of the feed.
- Podcasts and feeds can now be added and edited from the front end. From the feed view, for authorized users, an edit icon is present next to the podcast title for podcast editing and just below the feed title for feed editing (based on the default Beez_20 layout). Menu items exist to allow users to create links to add additional feeds and podcasts.
- A simple display module has been added which has the same data output as the HTML view in the convenience of a module. Look for the "Podcast Manager Feed Display" module in your Module Manager to use this new module.
- Taking advantage of new features to the Joomla! 1.7 release, batch processing for podcasts is now available. Since the access parameter is not used, the form currently only lists the copy/move functionality.
- Integration has been added with key Akeeba products. Definitions are in place to work with the new Akeeba Backup System Restore Points feature, and additionally, the new admin entry point adds a version check icon courtesy of Akeeba Live Update integration.
Supports only Joomla! 1.7
Joomla! 1.7 was released on July 19. Joomla! 1.6 will have official support dropped on August 19. Because 1.7 is a release no more complicated than updating between 1.5.22 and 1.5.23, for example, Podcast Manager 1.8 will not install on Joomla! 1.6. Additionally, several features have been added which are dependent on new features in Joomla! 1.7. If you have not yet updated to Joomla! 1.7, I recommend doing so using either the core Joomla! update process (which has been tested and adapted for a majority of users) or update using Admin Tools Joomla! Update process (feature added in the 2.1.5 release).
Upgrade from Previous Releases
Users of all previous Podcast Manager releases will be able to upgrade their pre-existing installation without having to delete the existing version or their media files. Since this is not a production release, users will need to download the installation package from this site and install it via their Joomla! site's Extension Manager.
Need Additional Support?
Documentation about Podcast Manager is available on this site in the Podcast Manager section. This area includes information about the suite, a description of the various configuration options, a method to subscribe for e-mail updates, and tutorials on various functions. If you don't see something here that you think would be beneficial for all users, feel free to Contact Me with your suggestion.
As of this release, development on this version has moved to a beta phase meaning that no new major features will be added. New major features can still be suggested, and if accepted, will be implemented in a future release. As a beta release, the primary purpose is to allow for wide spread bug testing and validation of new features, as well as allowing translators to use the extension and create translations that are valid for their languages.
Support the Project
You can contribute to the project by visiting the space on GitHub at https://github.com/BabDev/Podcast-Manager and report bugs, provide patches for known issues, suggest new improvements, or download a working copy of the Git repository. As well, translations are being accepted for Podcast Manager 1.8 and beyond. As part of the Open Translators initiative, Podcast Manager is listed on Transifex to accept community translations.
Download the newest posted release from the Latest Releases listing. Don't see this specific release listed? Check the Archived Releases listing for all of the installation packages that are available.